Your Guide To Procuring Dependent Visa in Singapore

Your Guide To Procuring Dependent Visa in Singapore

Singapore offers an attractive opportunity for working professionals to improve their standard of living. However, what is the fun without your family? If you seek your immediate family to join you in Singapore, you will need to apply for their Dependent Pass (DP).

What is a Dependent Pass?

A Dependent Pass enables the immediate family members of the Employment Pass (EP), Personalised Employment Pass (PEP), S Pass holders and EntrePass holders to live, study and even work in Singapore.

The Dependent Pass will help the holders to enter and exit Singapore without having to apply for other entry visas. The DP will remain valid as long as the main work visa holder actively works in Singapore.

Eligibility Criteria for a Dependent Pass Holder

A person with a work visa holding an EP, PEP or S-Pass with a monthly salary of SGD 6,000 or more can only apply for a Dependent Pass.

To be eligible for a DP, you should be:

  • a legally married spouse of the main work visa holder
  • an unmarried child under 21 years of age of the work visa holder
  • a legally adopted child

Note that the common-law spouse of a work visa holder is not eligible to apply for a DP. They may apply for a Long-term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP).

Babies Born in Singapore

If you are a work visa holder and if your baby is born in Singapore, you may obtain the Notification of Live Birth and Advisory Note from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). With this document, you may register your child’s birth certificate. Also, you will need to register for a passport from your high commission within 6 weeks of the child’s birth.

When Can You Apply for a Dependent Pass?

You may apply for a DP for your immediate family when you are applying for your work pass. In this case, both your work pass and the DP will be processed simultaneously. However, note that if your work pass is declined, the DP will be automatically rejected too. Alternatively, you may apply for a DP after your work pass has been approved. In such a case, your family members may need to wait for a few more weeks before they obtain their DP.

What Are the Documents Needed for a DP?

The application form should be submitted through the work pass holder’s company. You will need the following documents:

  • A copy of the applicant’s personal details. If the applicant is a child, parents are required to submit:
  • a copy of their personal details’ page
  • their child’s birth certificate
  • In case, the child is adopted, parents should submit a copy of the adoption papers and other necessary documents
  • Children under 12 will need a Verification of Vaccination document from the Health Promotion Board 
  • If the applicant is a spouse of the work pass holder, you will need to submit their marriage certificate
  • If the applicant is an unmarried handicapped child of the work pass holder and is above 21 years, you should submit a report of assessment regarding the applicant’s health by a medical practitioner
  • If the applicant is an unmarried stepchild, you have to procure a letter of no objection from the other biological parent to be submitted to the MOM

All these documents are required to be in English. If not, you will be required to submit the original document along with the English translation.

In addition to all this, the DP holder should also submit the following:

  • Passport details
  • Current short term visit pass or immigration pass
  • Your address in Singapore
  • The address where your DP card can be delivered
  • Your IPA letter
  • Your Disembarkation card
  • Health declaration form

How Can you Apply for a Dependent Pass?

DP applications are made by the work visa holders’ employers or Employment Agent (EA) either manually or online. The applications are processed within 3 to 5 weeks. After your DP application is approved, you will receive an In-Principle-Approval (IPA) letter by Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower (MOM). As a DP applicant, you should be in Singapore to collect the pass. You will also need the following documents to collect your pass:

  • Your passport and your child’s passport
  • The IPA letter
  • Other documents specified in the IPA letter

How Can You Appeal a DP Rejection?

Do not fret if your DP application has been rejected. The employer or Employment Agent can appeal within the next 3 months. However, note that they can appeal only if they have pertinent information that addresses the issues in the rejection advisory.

Can DP Holders Work and Study in Singapore?

As a DP Holder, you may work in Singapore if your work pass holder possesses an EP, PEP or an EntrePass. After you get selected for a job, your potential employer will need to apply for a Letter of Consent (LOC) on your behalf. You do not have to wait long, as the MOM processes LOC within a week. The validity of your LOC will depend on the validity of your relative’s work visa. Also, you will need to renew your LOC if you renew your DP.

If your child is a DP holder, he/she may enroll in a primary or secondary school in Singapore. However, if a child is pursuing higher education in Singapore, they will have to apply for a student visa.

How About Permanent Residence for DP Holders?

If you are a DP holder and seek a permanent residence (PR) in Singapore, you can apply for the same along with your work visa holder. If your work visa holder’s PR application is approved by the MOM, your PR application will also be approved.

If you are a work visa holder in Singapore, you are likely to hold a hectic and competitive job. The proximity of your immediate family members will go a long way in easing the stress of your work schedule. So, do not delay any further in procuring a dependent visa for your loved ones. We, at Jaanik, will guide you through the entire process of your DP application. Contact us now to secure your DP.